Chapter Eight explores environmental communications from a theoretical perspective examining concepts of crisis, power, discourse, identity and values. Communication and learning are intricately related and in this thesis these practices are often conflated. Environmental communication both reflects and shapes attitudes towards nature. Vested interests profit from a certain representation of nature, so issues of power must be central to an analysis of environmental discourse.The chapter starts with an introduction to environmental communication design as a ‘crisis discipline’. Next is an examination of how symbolic violence is responsible for the perpetuation of hegemonic discourses that marginalize ecological perspectives. A new discursive framework is also introduced. The final section examines a values-led approach to EC focusing on identity. Download Chapter Eight here.
The Visual Communication of Ecological Literacy – PhD site
This site is an entry point to my 2012 PhD titled: The Visual Communication of Ecological Literacy: Designing, Learning and Emergent Ecological Perception. Chapters are introduced and can be downloaded from the links. Enjoy!
- RT @CodenameMinaLi: Also, when Mr. Rogers found out that the KKK was making racist and homophobic telephone recordings and imitating his vo… 7 hours ago
- RT @romsson: Slides from my talk are online! Hope I did not forget to credit anyone. So much excellent work on climate #dataviz out there.… 7 hours ago
- RT @Ecocene: The now iconic most impactful climate datavis by climate scientist @edhawkin as presented by @romsson #micromesomacro - also… 20 hours ago
- RT @davidgraeber: "Against Economics" - a review of Robert Skidelsky's "Money and Government" at NY Review of Books https://t.co/MWlJEgLY… 21 hours ago
- RT @triofrancos: "Winning Friends, Crushing Enemies" might take the prize for best title ever. @thetroublemag interviewed @alybatt and I on… 22 hours ago
- RT @TeenVogue: "All of us — individuals, companies, and governments — are going to have to change our behaviors to end the climate emergenc… 1 day ago
- Don’t Be Scared About The End Of Capitalism—Be Excited To Build What Comes Next fastcompany.com/40454254/dont-… 1 day ago