Chapter Eight explores environmental communications from a theoretical perspective examining concepts of crisis, power, discourse, identity and values. Communication and learning are intricately related and in this thesis these practices are often conflated. Environmental communication both reflects and shapes attitudes towards nature. Vested interests profit from a certain representation of nature, so issues of power must be central to an analysis of environmental discourse.The chapter starts with an introduction to environmental communication design as a ‘crisis discipline’. Next is an examination of how symbolic violence is responsible for the perpetuation of hegemonic discourses that marginalize ecological perspectives. A new discursive framework is also introduced. The final section examines a values-led approach to EC focusing on identity. Download Chapter Eight here.
The Visual Communication of Ecological Literacy – PhD site
This site is an entry point to my 2012 PhD titled: The Visual Communication of Ecological Literacy: Designing, Learning and Emergent Ecological Perception. Chapters are introduced and can be downloaded from the links. Enjoy!
- RT @Info_Activism: Cambridge Analytica: Undercover Secrets of Trump's Data Firm youtube.com/watch?time_con… 2 hours ago
- RT @Macroscopist: Thanks for pointing this out; the power of weaponizing personal data relies in a great extent in all actors accepting unc… 8 hours ago
- RT @KCL_UCU: UCU is appealing to all members who currently hold external examiner positions at the 65 institutions covered by USS to resign… 11 hours ago
- RT @BiologistDan: #Sudan has died. The last male Northern White #Rhino has passed away. We are all witness to extinction. It is forever. We… 12 hours ago
- RT @RobGMacfarlane: Words of the day: "vernal equinox" - the moment each spring when the sun crosses the celestial equator, & day & night a… 12 hours ago
- Opinion: Anna Campbell’s idealism and conviction should inspire us all via @TheBristolCable thebristolcable.org/2018/03/opinio… 13 hours ago
- RT @simone_natale: I am in the supervisory team of a new Centre for Doctoral Training at Loughborough University "Improving the Health of O… 14 hours ago